The Draconian Woman. Chapter Six
Chapter Six – The Keeper of Lost Tomorrows
Serakha did not tell Emma about the note.
Not immediately.
Not because she didn't trust her.
Because, in the Draco Empire, there had been an old saying:
"Information given too early becomes fear."
Information given at the right moment...
became wisdom.
She folded the note once.
Then twice.
Then placed it inside the astronomy book she had bought the day before.
Emma entered the kitchen wearing oversized pajamas decorated with smiling avocados.
Serakha looked at them for several long seconds.
Emma noticed.
"What?"
"...Your sleep uniform."
"My pajamas?"
"They depict cheerful vegetables."
"They're avocados."
"They appear pleased with existence."
Emma grinned.
"They're happy avocados."
Serakha nodded slowly.
"I continue to underestimate this century."
Over breakfast Emma noticed something unusual.
"You've been quiet."
"I am thinking."
"That's dangerous."
"I have observed the same."
At work, everyone behaved as usual.
Martin from accounting was still arguing with the printer.
The printer was winning.
The marketing team debated for twenty-three minutes over the shade of blue in a presentation.
Serakha watched silently.
Finally she stood.
"Would changing the shade increase your revenue?"
"...No."
"Would your customers notice?"
"...Probably not."
"Then you are not discussing color."
The room looked at her.
"You are negotiating certainty."
Nobody answered.
Because she was right.
By lunchtime the story had spread.
"Serakha solved another meeting."
Someone started calling her
The Office Oracle.
She hated the nickname.
Mostly because...
it was surprisingly accurate.
That evening, she returned to the bookstore alone.
The old bookseller smiled.
"I thought you'd come back."
"You expected me?"
"I've worked with books for fifty years."
"They always bring people back."
Serakha smiled.
"No."
"I believe someone else brought me back."
The bookseller's eyes twinkled.
"Perhaps."
She wandered through the shelves until she reached the astronomy section.
A single book lay on the floor.
She was certain it hadn't been there before.
Its cover was plain black.
No title.
No author.
She picked it up.
It opened by itself.
Only one sentence appeared on the first page.
KEEPERS NEVER LOOK FOR YOU.
THEY WAIT UNTIL YOU ARE READY TO NOTICE THEM.
Serakha frowned.
She turned the page.
Blank.
Another page.
Blank.
Every page was empty.
Except the last.
There, in elegant silver handwriting, was an address.
No city.
No country.
Just coordinates.
She recognized them instantly.
The place was only twenty minutes away.
As she stepped outside, rain had begun to fall.
The streets glistened beneath the lamps.
People hurried beneath umbrellas.
A little boy deliberately jumped into every puddle he could find.
His exhausted mother apologized to everyone around them.
Serakha smiled.
The child looked delighted.
She remembered being taught, centuries ago:
"Efficiency is perfection."
Yet somehow...
the boy seemed wiser.
He wasn't trying to arrive somewhere.
He was enjoying getting there.
The coordinates led her to a tiny public park.
Nothing remarkable.
Old benches.
Autumn leaves.
A fountain that no longer worked.
She checked the location again.
Correct.
"This makes no sense."
"It rarely does."
The voice came from behind her.
She didn't turn immediately.
"You enjoy doing that."
The man chuckled.
"It saves introductions."
She faced him.
The same grey coat.
The same calm eyes.
The same impossible familiarity.
"You left me a note."
"I left you an opportunity."
"What is the difference?"
He smiled.
"Perspective."
"You called yourself the Seventh Observatory."
"I did."
"That division was erased."
"So was yours."
Silence.
The wind carried a handful of golden leaves between them.
Finally Serakha asked,
"Who are you?"
He looked almost amused.
"My name is Elias."
"That's your Earth name."
"Yes."
"And before?"
He looked toward the sky.
"I've had many."
"You said someone edited history."
"I did."
"Who?"
"I don't know."
"You don't know?"
"No."
"You crossed timelines without knowing your enemy?"
Elias laughed softly.
"You still think like a commander."
"And you don't?"
"I stopped."
"When?"
"The day I discovered that history isn't written by those who win."
She frowned.
"Then by whom?"
"By those who remember."
Serakha studied him carefully.
"You aren't afraid."
"No."
"You should be."
"I've been afraid."
"What changed?"
"I met humans."
She blinked.
"...Humans?"
"They're extraordinary."
"They panic over Wi-Fi."
"They apologize to chairs after bumping into them."
"They spend hours choosing birthday cards."
"And somehow..."
"They keep choosing kindness."
He smiled.
"That changes a person."
Serakha looked around the park.
Children laughed.
Teenagers argued about music.
An old man fed birds as though he had nowhere else to be.
"I used to believe strength shaped civilizations."
Elias nodded.
"And now?"
"I'm beginning to think..."
"...ordinary people do."
Elias handed her a tiny brass compass.
It looked ancient.
Its needle didn't point north.
It pointed...
up.
"What is this?"
"A Timeline Compass."
She raised an eyebrow.
"It doesn't obey magnetism."
"It obeys memory."
She turned it slowly.
The needle trembled.
Then swung toward the city.
Toward home.
Toward Emma.
Serakha whispered,
"...Why is it pointing there?"
Elias smiled.
"Because your anchor isn't a place."
"It's a person."
She stared at the compass.
For thousands of years, she had believed that survival depended on weapons...
strategy...
discipline...
control.
Never...
on friendship.
Elias watched her expression soften.
"You've already changed."
"No."
"You have."
"You smile now before you analyze."
She laughed quietly.
"I dislike that you've noticed."
"I notice everything."
"So do I."
"I know."
As they began walking back toward the city, Serakha suddenly stopped.
"Elias."
"Yes?"
"If someone truly rewrote history..."
"...can it be restored?"
He didn't answer immediately.
Instead he watched a young couple helping an elderly woman carry her shopping bags across the street.
Finally he spoke.
"Perhaps."
"And if restoring it means losing this world?"
The question hung between them.
Serakha looked at the ordinary evening unfolding around her.
The cafés.
The bicycles.
The children.
Emma, probably at home, making tea and wondering why she'd forgotten to buy milk again.
She smiled to herself.
For the first time since arriving on Earth...
she didn't know which timeline she wanted to save.
And that uncertainty...
felt more frightening than any battle she had ever fought.

Comentarii