The Draconian Woman. Chapter Eight
Chapter Eight – The Library Between Seconds
On Monday morning, Serakha was exactly seven minutes early for work.
Not because she enjoyed punctuality.
She considered punctuality the minimum acceptable level of respect.
Emma was already waiting outside the office.
"You look worried."
"I've had a strange dream."
Serakha smiled.
"Good."
Emma frowned.
"Good?"
"In my experience, reality usually begins by pretending to be a dream."
"...You always make things sound suspicious."
"Experience has earned that privilege."
By noon, the office had descended into its usual state of carefully organized confusion.
Someone had accidentally replied to the entire company.
Someone else had forgotten the password to a presentation.
The printer had declared war on humanity once again.
Martin from Accounting walked past carrying three mugs of coffee.
"Morning, Commander."
"I thought we agreed not to call me Commander."
"We did."
"...But it sounds cooler."
She sighed.
"I lost that battle, didn't I?"
"Spectacularly."
At exactly 3:17 p.m., the brass compass moved.
Not toward Emma.
Not toward the city.
Straight upward.
It vibrated gently in Serakha's hand.
Then...
the office froze.
The coffee pouring into Martin's mug stopped halfway.
A sheet of paper hung motionless in the air.
A fly remained suspended between two fluorescent lights.
Emma stood completely still...
smiling...
frozen in the middle of a sentence.
Only Serakha could move.
She looked around slowly.
"...Interesting."
A familiar voice answered,
"Most people scream first."
She turned.
Elias was leaning casually against the photocopier.
"I tried screaming once."
"Did it help?"
"No."
"So I stopped."
"What happened?"
"We stepped between seconds."
Serakha raised an eyebrow.
"I thought that was theoretical."
"So did I."
"You sound unusually pleased."
"I enjoy being wrong."
The office dissolved around them.
Walls became mist.
Desks faded into light.
The ceiling opened like the night sky.
Thousands of glowing pathways stretched in every direction.
Each shimmered with moving memories.
Children learning to walk.
Old women baking bread.
Cities being built.
Friends laughing over coffee.
Soldiers embracing before battle.
Countless lives...
woven together.
"What is this place?"
Elias smiled.
"The Library Between Seconds."
"There are no books."
"There are."
"You simply haven't learned how humans write them."
She looked confused.
"I don't understand."
"They don't always write with ink."
He touched one glowing thread.
Instantly, an entire memory unfolded before them.
A little girl tying her father's tie before his first job interview.
Both laughing because neither knew how.
The memory lasted only a few seconds.
Then disappeared.
Serakha whispered,
"That's..."
"A book."
Another thread glowed.
A teenage boy giving his lunch to a homeless man while pretending he wasn't hungry himself.
Another.
A nurse holding the hand of an elderly patient with no family.
Another.
Two brothers forgiving each other after twenty years of silence.
Thousands...
Millions...
Billions...
Every act of kindness shimmered like a tiny star.
"I thought history recorded wars."
Elias smiled gently.
"That's what historians record."
He gestured toward the endless lights.
"This..."
"...is what the universe remembers."
Serakha slowly walked among the glowing threads.
Everywhere she looked...
ordinary people.
Ordinary lives.
No emperors.
No conquerors.
No famous names.
Just...
small moments.
A child rescuing a bird.
A stranger paying for someone's groceries.
A teacher staying after school because one student was struggling.
A grandfather planting a tree he would never live to see fully grown.
She stopped.
"In the Empire..."
"...none of these would have been considered important."
"I know."
"We measured achievements."
"And humans measure moments."
She stood in silence.
For the first time, she realized something astonishing.
Perhaps...
civilizations didn't disappear when their cities fell.
Perhaps they disappeared...
when nobody remembered how to be kind.
Elias pointed toward a distant light.
Unlike the others...
it pulsed.
Bright.
Steady.
Waiting.
"That one is yours."
"My memory?"
"No."
"Your future."
Serakha approached.
As her fingers touched the light...she saw herself.
Older.
Laughing.
Grey streaks in her dark hair.
Emma beside her.
Children running through a garden.
Books everywhere.
A telescope pointed toward the stars.
No armor.
No command insignia.
No fleet.
Just...
peace.
The vision vanished.
She stepped back.
"...That cannot be correct."
"Why not?"
"I never retired."
"You haven't."
"You simply changed professions."
"What am I now?"
Elias smiled.
"I've been wondering when you'd ask."
She waited.
"In the Draco Empire..."
"...you protected civilizations by commanding fleets."
"Yes."
"And now?"
He looked toward the billions of glowing memories surrounding them.
"You protect them..."
"...one conversation at a time."
Before she could answer...
a deep vibration echoed through the Library.
The lights flickered.
Several memories dimmed.
Then vanished.
Serakha's expression changed instantly.
"What was that?"
Elias no longer smiled.
"They've found us."
"Who?"
"The ones who rewrite timelines."
"You know who they are?"
"No."
"But they're getting closer."
Another pulse shook the Library.
This time dozens of lights disappeared.
Not exploding.
Simply...
erased.
As though those moments had never happened.
Serakha's military instincts returned immediately.
"What do they want?"
Elias looked directly into her eyes.
"The same thing every empire has ever wanted."
"And that is?"
"To convince people..."
"...that kindness doesn't matter."
Silence.
The Library grew darker.
Far away...
someone was deleting memories.
Not memories of battles.
Not memories of kings.
The smallest ones.
The unnoticed ones.
The kind ones.
Serakha understood immediately.
Because if enough of those disappeared...
humanity would eventually become exactly like the civilization she had left behind.
Powerful.
Efficient.
Victorious.
And utterly incapable of remembering why any victory had mattered.
She slowly closed her hand around the brass compass.
"For ten thousand years..."
she whispered,
"I defended worlds."
She looked at Elias.
"This time..."
"...we defend something much more fragile."
"What?"
Serakha smiled.
"Hope."
And somewhere, far beyond the stars...
someone noticed that Commander Serakha had finally remembered why she had been chosen to cross the timeline.
Not because she had once been the greatest commander in the Draco Empire.
But because...
she was no longer one.

Comentarii