The Draconian Woman. Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Eight – The Children of the First Timeline
The Archive was changing.
Not slowly.
Not gently.
The enormous halls had become a storm of light.
Thousands of crystal spheres floated through the air, spinning rapidly as if caught inside an invisible current. Doors opened and closed by themselves. Shelves moved across the vast chambers. Ancient symbols flashed upon the walls and disappeared before anyone could read them.
Somewhere far above them, the Story Tree was calling.
Not with words.
With memory.
Serakha stood beneath its branches, the Pen glowing in her hand.
She could still feel the forgotten timeline inside her.
Three crimson moons.
Silver forests.
The ancient Draco cities.
The children escaping through the first timeline gate.
And one promise.
She looked at Liora.
"You were one of them."
Liora didn't answer immediately.
She looked toward the roots of the Tree.
"Yes."
Emma stepped closer.
"One of the children?"
Liora nodded.
"How old were you?"
"I don't remember."
Serakha frowned.
"You were young."
"Very."
"Then how did you survive?"
Liora looked at her.
"You saved me."
The words struck Serakha harder than she expected.
"I don't remember doing it."
"You weren't supposed to."
"Why?"
"Because you stayed behind."
The room became quiet.
Liora continued.
"You held the gate open while the others escaped."
Serakha looked down at the Pen.
"And you?"
"I refused to leave."
Emma blinked.
"You refused?"
Liora smiled.
"I was a difficult child."
Emma nodded immediately.
"I like her."
Serakha gave them both a serious look.
"This isn't funny."
Emma lowered her voice.
"It is slightly funny."
"It isn't."
"Maybe later."
Serakha tried not to smile.
She failed.
Liora noticed.
"You still do that."
"Do what?"
"Try not to laugh when you're frightened."
Serakha's expression softened.
"I used to?"
"You still do."
Before Serakha could answer, a violent shockwave passed through the Archive.
The floor lifted beneath their feet.
Emma grabbed the nearest pillar.
"I have officially changed my mind about this place."
The Guardian shouted from across the chamber,
"Hold on!"
"To what?" Emma yelled.
"Anything!"
"That's not very specific!"
A second shockwave hit.
This time the great Story Tree bent.
Its enormous branches moved as though something invisible were trying to pull them from the roots.
The First Author looked upward.
"They have entered the lower Archive."
"Who?" Serakha asked.
"The Erasers."
"How many?"
The old woman shook her head.
"Not enough."
Emma looked confused.
"That sounded like good news."
"It isn't."
The First Author pointed toward the darkness beyond the chamber.
"The ones we can see are not the danger."
"Then what is?"
"The ones we cannot see."
A deep silence followed.
Then...
every light went out.
Total darkness.
Emma whispered,
"I would like to formally request the lights."
Nothing happened.
She sighed.
"Of course."
A tiny glow appeared.
Not from the ceiling.
From Liora's hand.
The little red marble she had given Emma was shining.
Emma looked at it.
"You said it would remember me."
"It does."
"Could it remember where the light switch is?"
Liora laughed.
"No."
"Very limited product."
Serakha smiled.
Then she noticed something.
The marble was not merely glowing.
It was projecting an image.
A tiny landscape appeared above Emma's palm.
A city.
A river.
A silver forest.
A group of children.
One child stood apart from the others.
A young girl with dark hair and amber eyes.
Serakha stopped breathing.
"It's me."
"No," said Liora.
"It's you."
Serakha looked at her.
"What?"
Liora pointed toward the image.
"Look carefully."
The girl wasn't Serakha.
She looked similar.
But younger.
Different.
And beside her stood another child.
A boy.
Tall for his age.
Silver eyes.
Small dark scales visible along his neck.
He held the girl's hand.
Serakha stared.
"Who is he?"
Liora's expression changed.
"Your brother."
The word seemed to freeze the air.
Serakha whispered,
"I had a brother?"
"You did."
"What happened to him?"
Liora didn't answer.
She didn't need to.
The image changed.
The children were running.
Behind them, the city burned.
Huge ships filled the crimson sky.
The first timeline was collapsing.
The little girl Serakha was holding the Pen.
Her brother was carrying the journal.
The same journal from the garden.
They reached the great gate.
Serakha stopped.
She pushed the other children through.
Her brother remained beside her.
Then she heard her younger voice.
"Go."
He shook his head.
"No."
"You have to."
"I'm staying."
"You promised."
"I promised I'd never leave you."
Serakha watched the scene in horror.
"Why don't I remember him?"
The First Author answered quietly.
"Because you asked the Living Book to remove him from your memory."
Serakha turned sharply.
"Why?"
"Because remembering him would have made you return too soon."
"Return from where?"
"From Earth."
Serakha stared.
"I was sent to Earth?"
"No."
"You chose Earth."
The First Author's eyes filled with sadness.
"You believed humanity could become what your civilization had failed to become."
Emma looked at Serakha.
"And did it?"
Serakha considered the question.
"Sometimes."
Emma nodded.
"That's probably the most honest answer."
A distant explosion shook the Archive.
The Guardian shouted,
"They're here!"
The First Author looked at Serakha.
"You have minutes."
"To do what?"
"Remember."
"Remember what?"
"The final decision."
The floor beneath them opened.
A staircase appeared.
Unlike the previous staircase, this one descended into complete darkness.
No light.
No symbols.
No glowing letters.
Nothing.
Serakha stepped toward it.
Emma followed.
The First Author stopped her.
"You cannot go."
Emma looked offended.
"Why?"
"Because this memory belongs to Serakha."
Emma looked toward Serakha.
Serakha smiled.
"I'll be back."
Emma crossed her arms.
"You'd better."
"I will."
"And don't do anything heroic."
"I make no promises."
"I hate when you say that."
Serakha descended.
Liora followed.
Emma shouted after them,
"If you find another terrifying cosmic object, don't touch it!"
Serakha's voice echoed upward.
"I'll try."
Emma sighed.
"She never listens."
The Guardian looked at her.
"Neither do you."
"That's why we're friends."
The darkness swallowed Serakha and Liora.
There were no stairs anymore.
They were simply falling.
Not downward.
Backward.
Through time.
Serakha saw civilizations rising and disappearing.
Worlds forming.
Stars igniting.
Planets cooling.
Oceans appearing.
Life beginning.
Species evolving.
Wars.
Peace.
Birth.
Death.
Love.
Loss.
Again.
Again.
Again.
Then...
the vision stopped.
Serakha stood in a garden.
The same garden.
The three crimson moons hung overhead.
The silver trees whispered in the wind.
The little girl stood beneath one of them.
Her brother stood beside her.
He looked directly at Serakha.
"You finally remembered."
Serakha could barely speak.
"You've been waiting."
"For a long time."
"Are you alive?"
The boy smiled.
"That's a complicated question."
"I don't care."
"Then yes."
Serakha walked toward him.
She wanted to embrace him.
But something stopped her.
A wall.
Invisible.
Transparent.
She placed her hand against it.
"So this isn't real."
"It was real."
"Then what is it?"
"A memory that refused to die."
The boy looked toward Liora.
"And she brought you here."
Serakha turned.
Liora was crying.
"You knew?"
"Yes."
"Why didn't you tell me?"
"Because you wouldn't have believed me."
Serakha looked at the boy again.
"What was your name?"
He smiled.
"You gave me one."
"I did?"
"Yes."
He stepped closer.
"You called me Arin."
The name unlocked something.
A childhood afternoon.
A broken toy.
A secret hiding place beneath a silver tree.
A promise.
Two children looking at the stars.
Serakha remembered everything.
Arin had been her younger brother.
Her closest friend.
The person who had stayed behind when she opened the first timeline gate.
And then...
he had disappeared.
Not died.
Not vanished.
He had become something else.
A Keeper.
A guardian of the forgotten timelines.
Liora whispered,
"He became the first Keeper."
Serakha looked at her.
"And you?"
"I was the first child he rescued."
Serakha's eyes widened.
"So you have been protecting the Archive ever since?"
Liora nodded.
"Waiting for you."
"Why?"
"Because Arin believed you would return."
A strange warmth spread through Serakha's chest.
"Where is he now?"
Liora looked upward.
The three moons disappeared.
The garden became dark.
A figure appeared in the sky.
Tall.
Silver-eyed.
Wearing armor made from fragments of crystal.
Arin.
But older.
Much older.
He stood before a gigantic gate.
Behind him waited thousands of children.
Not ghosts.
Not memories.
Living beings.
Survivors.
He looked toward Serakha.
"I kept my promise."
The image faded.
Serakha whispered,
"Where are they?"
The answer came from the darkness behind her.
"Waiting."
She turned.
The First Author stood there.
"You found the missing future."
Serakha shook her head.
"No."
"I found my family."
The First Author smiled.
"Sometimes they are the same thing."
A terrible sound suddenly echoed through the garden.
The Erasers had arrived.
The silver sky cracked.
The crimson moons shattered into fragments of light.
The trees began disappearing.
One by one.
Serakha raised the Pen.
Liora stood beside her.
"You cannot fight them alone," Liora said.
"I know."
"Then what will you do?"
Serakha looked toward the thousands of children waiting beyond the gate.
Then she smiled.
"I'll stop fighting alone."
The Pen burst into golden light.
Across the forgotten timeline, doors began opening.
One after another.
From distant worlds came travelers.
From ancient cities came survivors.
From hidden dimensions came Keepers.
From Earth came dreamers.
From the Draco systems came descendants of the old empire.
From Sirius came scholars.
From Orion came navigators.
From Pleiades came healers.
And from countless forgotten worlds came beings who had once believed their stories were finished.
They gathered beneath the three moons.
Not an army.
A family.
The Erasers stopped.
For the first time...
they appeared uncertain.
Serakha looked at them.
"You wanted silence."
She raised the Pen.
"But the universe..."
"...has too many stories."
Behind her, thousands of voices answered.
And the forgotten timeline began to remember itself.

Comentarii