The Draconian Woman. Chapter Twelve

 

Chapter Twelve – The First Hug

The Keeper disappeared...

exactly the way dawn disappears.

Not suddenly.

Not dramatically.

Simply...

by becoming something else.

The Library Between Seconds slowly dissolved.

The glowing threads faded into morning light.

Serakha found herself standing in her apartment kitchen.

The kettle was whistling.

Emma was singing...

badly.

Very badly.

Serakha smiled.

"You're singing off-key."

Emma looked offended.

"I prefer the term..."

"...artistically adventurous."


Breakfast was unusually quiet.

Emma studied Serakha over the rim of her coffee mug.

"You've changed again."

"I have?"

"You look..."

She searched for the right word.

"...lighter."

Serakha considered this.

"In the Empire, that was not considered a compliment."

"Here it is."

Emma reached across the table and stole half of Serakha's toast.

Without asking.

Serakha stared.

"You've taken my breakfast."

Emma took another bite.

"We've lived together for months."

"Exactly."

"So?"

"You could have asked."

Emma shrugged.

"I knew you'd let me."

Serakha opened her mouth to object.

Then stopped.

Because...

Emma was right.


On the way to work, they passed the florist.

The owner was setting buckets of fresh flowers outside.

A little girl tugged on her father's sleeve.

"Daddy..."

"Can we buy one flower?"

"We're in a hurry."

"Please?"

The father sighed dramatically.

"One flower."

The little girl carefully chose a single sunflower.

She didn't keep it.

She walked across the sidewalk...

and handed it to the woman selling newspapers.

"For you."

The old woman blinked.

"My goodness..."

"Thank you."

The child smiled.

"My grandma says flowers shouldn't always wait for birthdays."

She skipped away.

The newspaper seller quietly held the sunflower against her chest.

Serakha didn't move.

The brass compass glowed softly.


At the office...

Martin had developed a theory.

"I've solved it."

Emma looked suspicious.

"What?"

"Serakha."

"What about her?"

"She's secretly a time traveler."

The room fell silent.

Serakha slowly looked up.

Emma nearly dropped her coffee.

Martin continued confidently.

"Think about it."

"She knows weird historical facts."

"She never panics."

"She understands impossible systems."

"And she still prints documents."

Everyone laughed.

Serakha raised one eyebrow.

"I appreciate your investigative skills."

Martin pointed triumphantly.

"See?"

"She didn't deny it!"

Emma interrupted quickly.

"Martin..."

"You also believed the office microwave was listening to you."

"It was suspiciously warm."


That afternoon, Serakha found a handwritten envelope on her desk.

No stamp.

No name.

Inside was a single card.

Lesson Twelve

Today you must accept help.

She frowned.

"...That seems unnecessary."


Fifteen minutes later...

she dropped an entire box of archived documents.

Folders exploded across the corridor.

Hundreds of pages scattered like startled birds.

Instinctively...

she knelt to collect them.

Before she could pick up even one...

people appeared.

Martin.

Emma.

The receptionist.

The intern.

The cleaning lady.

The company director.

No one said a word.

They simply began helping.

Within two minutes...

everything was back inside the box.

Serakha looked around.

"You interrupted your work."

Martin shrugged.

"You'd do the same."

"...Yes."

"So what's the problem?"


She realized...

there wasn't one.

In the Empire...

accepting help implied weakness.

Here...

offering help implied friendship.

The actions looked identical.

The meanings...

couldn't have been more different.


That evening, she visited the Keeper again.

Or rather...

the Keeper appeared where Serakha happened to be.

This time...

it was in a public park.

The old woman was feeding ducks.

Poorly.

Most of the bread landed in the water nowhere near them.

One particularly confident duck waddled straight up to Serakha.

The Keeper smiled.

"He likes you."

"He appears ambitious."

"He's a duck."

"I noticed."

"He believes everyone is carrying snacks."

"A remarkably optimistic philosophy."

The Keeper laughed.

"Exactly."


They sat together on a wooden bench.

Children played nearby.

A boy insisted that the lava on the playground was real.

Three other children immediately agreed.

Without debate.

Without evidence.

The Keeper watched them fondly.

"You still analyze everything."

"It has served me well."

"It has."

"But tell me..."

She looked sideways at Serakha.

"When Emma stole your toast this morning..."

"...why didn't you become angry?"

Serakha thought.

"Because..."

"...she assumed I would share."

"And?"

"I realized..."

"...she trusted me."

The Keeper nodded.

"Trust is invisible."

"It cannot be weighed."

"It cannot be measured."

"And yet..."

"...entire civilizations stand upon it."


Serakha watched the children.

One little boy fell while running.

Before any adult moved...

another child reached down and helped him stand.

No discussion.

No hesitation.

The game continued.

The Keeper smiled.

"They haven't forgotten yet."

"Forgotten what?"

"That helping is natural."


As the sun began to set, the Keeper reached into her coat pocket.

She removed something wrapped in blue cloth.

Slowly...

she unfolded it.

Inside rested a small silver insignia.

Old.

Worn smooth with age.

Serakha's breath caught.

She recognized it immediately.

The crest of the Fourth Draco Fleet.

Her fleet.

She looked at the Keeper.

"How?"

"You left it behind."

"I buried it."

"You buried the metal."

The Keeper gently placed the insignia into Serakha's hand.

"But not what it meant."


Serakha stared at it for a long time.

Then, quietly...

she closed her fingers around it.

"I don't want to command armies anymore."

"I know."

"I don't even miss it."

"I know."

"I miss..."

She stopped.

The words felt unfamiliar.

"I miss believing I always had to be strong."

The Keeper smiled with infinite tenderness.

"My dear..."

"No one becomes truly strong..."

"...until they discover the freedom of not pretending to be."


That night, back at the apartment, Emma was reading on the sofa.

She looked up.

"Tough day?"

Serakha nodded.

Without thinking...

Emma stood.

Walked over.

And wrapped her arms around Serakha.

No speech.

No advice.

Just... a hug.

At first... Serakha froze.

Her posture remained perfectly straight.

Her hands hovered awkwardly in the air.

Emma laughed. "You know..."

"Hugs work better if you hug back."

"I have limited training."

"I noticed."

Very slowly...

almost cautiously...

Serakha placed her arms around her friend.

It lasted only a few seconds.

But something inside her...

softened.

She stepped back.

"I believe..."

"...I understand."

Emma smiled.

"What?"

"Why humans survive."

Emma tilted her head.

"Why?"

Serakha looked around the warm apartment.

The books.

The half-finished puzzle on the table.

The smell of tea.

The quiet music playing from the kitchen.

Her friend smiling at her for no particular reason.

She smiled too.

"Because..."

"...when one of you begins to fall..."

"...another one simply reaches out."

Far away, in the Library Between Seconds...a new thread of light appeared.

It was small.

Almost impossible to notice.

But it shone with extraordinary brilliance.

The Keeper looked at it and whispered,

"The Commander has learned to embrace."

And for the first time in countless ages... the Library answered with laughter.

Comentarii

Postări populare de pe acest blog

Nodul Nord si Lilith

The Bolivian Salt Hotel

Tablita 4 a lui THOTH