The Draconian Woman. Chapter Seventeen


Chapter Seventeen – The Girl Who Remembered Tomorrow

The train moved without wheels.

Without vibration.

Without sound.

There was no sensation of speed.

Yet outside the windows...

entire galaxies unfolded like rivers of light.

Nebulae blossomed in impossible shades of sapphire and gold.

Stars were born.

Stars died.

Constellations rearranged themselves as though someone invisible were quietly rewriting the sky.

Emma pressed her forehead against the glass.

"I've officially run out of words."

Serakha smiled.

"I've noticed."

"I've also run out of questions."

"I doubt that."

Emma sighed dramatically.

"Fine."

She raised one finger.

"First question..."

"How is this train moving?"

"I don't know."

"Second..."

"Where are we?"

"I don't know."

"Third..."

"Are we technically still employed?"

Serakha blinked.

Emma shrugged.

"I just realized we both left work without requesting vacation."

For a heartbeat...

Serakha stared at her.

Then, unexpectedly, she laughed.

Not politely.

Not quietly.

She laughed so freely that even Elias turned around in surprise.

"There," Emma declared triumphantly.

"That's the laugh."

"What laugh?"

"The one where you sound less like an ancient commander..."

"...and more like someone who's actually enjoying life."

Serakha looked out toward the endless stars.

Perhaps Emma was right.


The little girl sat opposite them.

She swung her legs beneath the oversized seat.

Her suitcase rested neatly beside her.

Every few moments she looked curiously at Serakha, as if trying to solve a delightful puzzle.

Finally, she spoke.

"I thought you'd be taller."

Emma nearly choked trying not to laugh.

Serakha maintained perfect composure.

"I'm considered above average."

The girl tilted her head.

"Hmm."

"In the stories, you were enormous."

"I suspect the stories exaggerated."

"They always do."


"What is your name?" Serakha asked.

The child smiled.

"Liora."

Emma leaned forward.

"Are you traveling alone?"

Liora nodded cheerfully.

"I always do."

"Aren't your parents worried?"

"I don't have parents."

Emma's smile faded.

"I'm sorry."

Liora looked puzzled.

"Why?"

"I've never needed any."

The answer was so simple...

so free of sadness...

that Emma didn't know how to respond.


Serakha noticed something unusual.

Children rarely maintained eye contact for so long.

Liora did.

Her gaze was calm.

Ancient.

Not old...

Ancient.

As if she had watched civilizations rise and disappear with the same quiet curiosity that other children watched butterflies.


"You knew my name."

Liora nodded.

"Everyone here does."

"How?"

"You've been late for a very long time."

Emma whispered,

"I feel like every mysterious person in this universe enjoys speaking in riddles."

Elias smiled.

"They're surprisingly addictive."


The train entered a tunnel.

Not a tunnel carved through rock.

A tunnel carved through darkness itself.

Outside the windows there were no stars.

No light.

Only a blackness so complete that it seemed to absorb thought.

The cheerful atmosphere vanished instantly.

Even Liora became quiet.

She stood.

Closed her little suitcase.

Then looked directly at Serakha.

"They know you're here."

"Who?"

"The Editors."

Elias immediately walked toward the front carriage.

"How long?"

"They've been following us since Platform Seven."

He closed his eyes briefly.

"I was afraid of that."


The lights flickered.

Once.

Twice.

Then every window became perfectly black.

Not reflective.

Empty.

Emma swallowed.

"I don't like this."

"No," Serakha admitted.

"Neither do I."

Emma stared.

"Did you just admit uncertainty?"

"Please don't make a habit of noticing."


The train slowed.

Not because it wanted to.

Because something...

was holding it.

A deep metallic groan echoed through every carriage.

Passengers who had been quietly reading or talking looked up.

Nobody panicked.

That frightened Serakha even more.

They had experienced this before.


An announcement echoed softly.

"Attention, passengers."

"We are experiencing an unauthorized interruption."

"Please remain calm."

Emma whispered,

"That sentence has never made anyone calm."


Then...

the first window cracked.

Not the glass.

Reality.

A thin silver line spread across the darkness outside.

Another followed.

Then another.

The cracks widened until the blackness resembled shattered ice.

Through each fracture...

someone was watching.

Hundreds of eyes.

Silent.

Patient.

Motionless.

Emma instinctively reached for Serakha's hand.

She didn't even realize she had done it.

Serakha squeezed gently.

Neither of them spoke.


The cracks exploded.

Not outward.

Inward.

The darkness poured into the carriage like liquid shadow.

It moved unnaturally.

Without footsteps.

Without breath.

Tall figures emerged.

Their bodies were wrapped in long coats woven from darkness itself.

Silver masks hid every face.

Only their eyes remained visible.

Cold.

Expressionless.

Impossible to forget.

Passengers quietly stood.

No screaming.

No running.

Only silence.

One Editor stepped forward.

His voice sounded like paper turning.

"Commander Serakha."

She stepped into the aisle.

"I've retired."

"We're aware."

"Then why continue calling me Commander?"

"Because..."

He tilted his masked head.

"...you still command hope."


The words lingered in the air.

Even the train seemed to listen.


The Editor slowly raised one gloved hand.

Immediately the carriage transformed.

Seats disappeared.

Walls dissolved.

Suddenly everyone stood inside a colossal circular chamber suspended among the stars.

Thousands of floating clocks surrounded them.

Each ticked at a different rhythm.

Each measured a different life.

Emma looked around in astonishment.

"Is this real?"

The Editor answered before anyone else could.

"It will be."


Liora quietly stepped beside Serakha.

She reached into her tiny suitcase.

Inside...

there were no clothes.

No toys.

Only dozens of folded paper stars.

She handed one to Serakha.

"Take it."

"What is it?"

"A memory."

Serakha unfolded the star.

Instantly she remembered something she had forgotten centuries ago.

Not a battle.

Not a victory.

She remembered being very young.

Before military academies.

Before rank.

Before duty.

She was sitting beside her mother beneath a crimson sky.

Her mother was teaching her to whistle.

Neither of them succeeded.

They laughed until sunset.

The memory lasted only seconds.

Yet tears filled Serakha's eyes.

"I'd forgotten..."

Liora smiled gently.

"I know."

"The Editors couldn't erase it."

"They only hid it."


The lead Editor watched without moving.

"So."

"You've found one."

Elias stepped forward.

"They're all hidden."

The Editor nodded.

"Exactly."

He looked at Serakha.

"Your greatest weapon was never strategy."

"It wasn't your fleet."

"It wasn't your intelligence."

"It wasn't even your courage."

He paused.

"It was the part of yourself..."

"...you forgot."


The clocks around them began ringing simultaneously.

Thousands of different hours.

Thousands of different moments.

Past.

Present.

Future.

All at once.

The sound was overwhelming.

Emma covered her ears.

Liora remained perfectly calm.

She looked up at Serakha.

"Do you remember now?"

Serakha closed her eyes.

She remembered her mother's laughter.

The smell of rain on red stone.

The first story she had ever been told.

The first promise she had ever made.

Long before becoming a commander...

she had wanted to become...

a storyteller.

Her eyes opened slowly.

The brass compass dissolved into light.

Not breaking.

Transforming.

The golden light flowed into her hands, weaving itself into something entirely new.

Not a weapon.

A pen.

Ancient.

Elegant.

Its nib shimmered like a tiny star.

The lead Editor took one involuntary step backward.

"No..."

Liora smiled.

"Oh yes."

Emma looked between them, utterly bewildered.

"...Can someone please explain why everyone is suddenly terrified of stationery?"

For the first time since the Quiet War had begun...

every Editor in the chamber fell completely silent.

Because they knew exactly what the pen meant.

It belonged to the oldest force in the universe.

The force that existed before empires.

Before wars.

Before timelines.

The force that could write futures instead of merely defending them.

And Commander Serakha...

had just remembered how to use it.

Comentarii

Postări populare de pe acest blog

Nodul Nord si Lilith

The Bolivian Salt Hotel

SARMISEGETUZA SI SECRETELE EI